Your body changes a lot in pregnancy, making clothing a challenge. It can be frustrating when each trimester requires slightly new duds. Fear not! Rather than buying a new wardrobe every 3 months, we have some great maternity suggestions so you do not overbuy and some tips to prolong use of your pre-pregnancy clothing. Keep in mind the seasons and what your daily lifestyle looks like when reading our suggestions. i.e. office job, versus having the ability to get away with stretchy pants or jeans through the day.
Some people wonder why they would invest in clothing that they will wear for only a few months. The reality is, you will still be wearing your maternity clothes after you have your baby. Your body can take 6-18 months to get back into shape, depending on your weight gain in pregnancy and lifestyle after the birth. So keep rocking those stretchy pants as you take a stroll with your baby!
If you are working with a limited budget for your maternity wardrobe, check out the online Second Peek Maternity Boutique for a great selection of pre-loved clothes at reduced prices.
You do not need very much during this time – although, you may need a new bra during your first trimester as the girls can get noticeably larger! As you’ll quickly discover, stretch fabrics will be your best friend through your pregnancy. Long tops with leggings can keep your little bump under wraps if you are waiting to announce your news and can help you feel a bit more comfy if you are battling nausea all day long. If you feel up to it, slip on workout clothes, which usually have more stretch and can prompt you to stay active and try to keep up your rapidly decreasing energy levels.
Belly bands are a great way to extend the life of your pre-pregnancy pants. They offer good support while allowing you to keep your fly open, giving you a few more months of belly growth.
As you start to share your exciting news and marvel at your growing belly and baby, have some fun with your wardrobe by adding a cute novelty shirt like this one from Motherhood Maternity.
What to buy:
- a pair of dressy pants
- a pair or two of casual pants if the belly band is no longer working for your old jeans
- some stretch pants like lululemon (pick a nice black pair you can dress up or down) or the H&M mama leggings.
- 3-5 pairs of undies
- 2 or 3 tops, again lululemon has great tanks that are baggy around the middle
- 1 or 2 classic, wear anywhere dresses – high waisted dresses are always in style and are available almost anywhere (no need to hunt for maternity)
Where to go:
- Evymama – we heart them!! They are in the East and the West end of Toronto now!
- Kick Maternity – in the West end – they have a great selection
- Belly Maternity – Midtown Toronto – beautiful high end fashion
- Rhonda Maternity – Downtown – also beautiful, high end fashion
- Thyme Maternity – found in most malls
- H&M – not all of the stores carry maternity wear, so call ahead!
- Motherhood Maternity – found in most malls
- Old Navy – great for the basics with maternity jeans and tees at affordable prices
Your belly is taking up a lot of room in your clothes now! We highly recommend layers as your body temperature increases.
If you have not done so already, we suggest putting away your high heels and going for something flat or a low heel. Your feet can swell during this time, so you may have to get creative if you can’t wear Uggs and Hunters all the time!
You may need a new bra at this time as well. We would advise that you wait until after your milk comes in before buying a good nursing bra or two. In the meantime, you can pick up the cotton, comfortable, and affordable nursing sports bras like Bravados (available to purchase at Moms to Be and More or other vendors in your area.)
In this time, do something monthly to make you feel pretty! Get a manicure, pedicure, massage, or your hair done. It is important to give yourself lots of self care as it can take a bit to get used to your growing and changing body (not to mention it may be a little while before you feel up for these things once baby arrives).
Visit our Pinterest page to get more ideas for outfits to style up your growing bump! If you’re looking ahead to life as a nursing mother, take a look at our Breastfeeding and Stylish blog post. Happy Shopping!
Photo credit – www.momtastic.com
FREE ONLINE MINI-COURSE
BLISS IN BUSINESS RETREAT
Your future is created by what you do today — that's why we created a completely FREE mindset mini-course to help doulas and birth workers find bliss in their business!